I don’t know about you but I am pretty big fan of chickpeas. As I mentioned before I love hummus (made from chickpeas). Not only it is delicious, it is a good source of protein. These roasted chickpeas are the perfect, healthy snack!
A long time ago I went to a restaurant with some friends and had these spicy, roasted chickpeas and they were SO good! I looked for a recipe to try and found a good one that I adapted slightly. The original recipe called for ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper- which may not sound like a lot- and really isn’t if you love spice- but my husband and I thought they might be just a tad too spicy for out tastes. I decided to take that amount down to ¼ teaspoon. I also want to be able to give my 1 year old son some of these next time around and I think the spice might be a little much for him. Either way- these are so good and a great appetizer or side to a meal.
I am thinking about all of the variations you could do with these chickpeas and getting really excited! Can’t wait to experiment more and share them with you.
This recipe is so simple..start with rinsing and draining the chickpeas and setting them in a large mixing bowl
Add the olive oil, cayenne pepper and salt to the chickpeas and mix well
using tongs or your hand spread the chickpeas out on the baking sheet.
bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring half way through to ensure that both sides are crispy & browned and then enjoy! It’s that easy.
Adapted from Greatist
Serving Size: 2-3
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
1-16oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and set them aside in a mixing bowl.
- Add the olive oil, cayenne pepper and salt to the chickpeas and mix well. Using tongs or your hand spread the chickpeas out on the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring half way through to ensure that both sides are crispy & browned.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 3 minutes. Transfer the chickpeas to a serving dish and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Who needs potato chips or pretzels when you have something as delicious as these?
Roasted Chickpeas: This Chick Rocks
Tangy Balsamic Roasted Chickpeas: Pickles and Honey
Rosemary & Sea Salt Roasted Chickpeas: Kitchen Treaty